Baseband and Broadband network
A LAN is used for a limited distance, which is used to share the packet network for the computer communication. It is used to interconnect a computer and their devices over a common medium in order to access information, database files, applications etc...Baseband and broadband are the two LAN transmission. Baseband LANs are most common with a single channel system .It supports the single transmission at a particular time. Broadband LANs are extraordinary it is used to support multiple transmission via multiple frequency channels.
Broadband LANs are based on the coaxial cable for the transmission medium which is a multichannel, analog LANs .It offers a bandwidth of 1 to 5 Mbps for the optical fiber cable which also used for individual channels. it support 20 to 30 channels the combine bandwidth is 500 MHz. Many of the broadband LANs are assign to a 10Broadband36 where 10 stands for 10 Mbps. Multichannel broadband is seperate between the devices upto 36 to 3600 metres.
Characteristics of Broadband LANs
- The channel allocation is based on an FDM(frequency division multiplexing).
- There is a bi-directional transmission for the head-End.
- The digital signal is used to balance against the RF carrier(analog).
- Stations are connected through the RF modems which is used to manage the conversion process of digital-to-analog, it provides the transmission device to the analog channel.
Advantage of Broadband LANs
The main advantage of broadband LANs is that is provide a huge distance with huge bandwidth. It holds the data, voice and video on broadband channel.
Disadvantage of Broadband LANs
The main disadvantage of broadband LANs is that the standard is very low the high cost,requires modems.Cabel design is not good with the lack of well development.Alignment and maintenance is very high.
Baseband LANs are digital in nature.it is a single channel which supports a single communication at a time. The coaxial cable provides a total bandwidth of 1 to 100 Mpbs, UTP, STP or fiber optic cable. Baseband LANs are the famous and the most standard. They are designed only for the data transmission,as data communication is the main reason for the entity of the LANs.The baseband LAN physical topologies include the bus ,tree, star, and ring. Ethernet, Token Passing, Token ring and FDDI LANs are all baseband.
Characteristics of Baseband LANs
- The stations are connected through the T connectors.
- There is a low cost installation in Baseband LANs.
- No need of moderms.
- There is a bi-directional transmission for signal.
- It provides a single channel and unmodulated digital signals.
Advantage of Baseband LANs
The main advantage of Baseband LANs is that it is very cheap and simple. It is easy to install and the cost of maintenance is very low with high standard.
Disadvantage of Baseband LANs
The main disadvantage of baseband LANs is that it is for the limited distance and it is only for the data and voice.